Thank you for attending Waterpower Week 2023 in Washington, DC May 8-10. Thank you to our sponsors for continued support of the waterpower industry and NHA’s work. Thank you to our moderators, speakers, and facilitators for making thoughtful discussion and knowledge transfer possible during this week.
Below are the presentations. Please note that not all speakers used presentations.
You can find the full detailed schedule here.
Day 1 – Monday, May 8
Marine Energy Sector Showcase
- Pacific Energy Ocean Trust, Samantha Quinn
- Anchor Coalition, Trey Taylor
- Atlantic Marine Energy Center (AMEC), George Bonner
- Verdant Power, Glenn Smith and Luis Nunez
- ORPC, Stuart Davies
- Hydrokinetic Energy Corp, Walter Schurtenberger, CEO and Lead Designer
- Water Bros,Wesley Williams
- Pacific Marine Energy Center, Sarah Henkel
- NHA Marine Energy Council Presentation
Plenary Session Presentation by the Hydropower Foundation
- “We Support Responsible, Resilient, Clean and Renewable Energy Through Research, Education, and Workforce Development Programs” Linda Church Ciocci, Hydropower Foundation
Show Me the Money: Tax Credits in the Inflation Reduction Act
- Tax Credits in the Inflation Reduction Act, Beth Hartman, Program Manager for Strategic Innovation and Outreach, Waterpower Technologies Office, DOE
Show Me the Money: A Focus on Hydro Incentives (Sections 242, 243, and 247)
- Hydroelectric Incentives Program, Tim Welch, Hydroelectric Incentives Program Manager, DOE
Wholesale Electricity Markets Updates: Region by Region
- New York’s Wholesale Electricity Markets, Nathaniel Gilbraith, Manager of Energy Market Design, New York ISO
- Western Resource Adequacy Program, Ryan Roy, Director of Operations and Technology, Western Power Pool
Day 2 – Tuesday, May 9
Show Me the Money: Beyond Hydro Incentive Payments and Tax Credits — Additional Federal Funding Sources for Project Owners, Project Developers, and Technology Developers
Hydropower Research & Development Needs: Industry and the Environment
- 2023 Hydropower Environmental and Industry Research & Development Summit Review, Dana McCoskey, Environmental Technologies Manager, U.S. Department of Energy, Water Power Technologies Office
Creating a Narrative about Your Project’s Development or Operations: Using Standards and Certifications
- Hydropower Sustainability Standard, Debbie Gray, Climate Policy Manager, International Hydropower Association
Day 3 – Wednesday, May 10
Considerations for Voluntary Dam Removal
- Risk Management in Voluntary Dam Removals, Richard Roos-Collins, Water and Power Law Group PC
Show Me the Money: Direct Pay Provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act – How Can Public Power Benefit?
- Direct Pay Provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act – How Can Public Power and Cooperatives Benefit?, Suzanne Grassell, Chelan County PUD
FERC Compliance: What’s New?
- Office of Energy Projects, Division of Hydropower Administration and Compliance, CarLisa Linton, DHAC Division Director
IEA Hydro: Sharing International Perspectives on Hydropower Value
- IEA Hydro: Sharing International Perspectives on Hydropower Value, Alex Beckitt, Deputy Chair of IEA Hydro
Hydrogen and Waterpower: A Match Made in Heaven?
- Hydrogen – Ontario’s Leader in Clean Hydrogen Development, Chris Penny, Atura Power, Manager, Hydrogen Projects
- Douglas County PUD Hydrogen, Shiloh Burgess, Government Affairs Manager
- Marine Energy, Chris Lee
Uncommon Dialogue Workshop: Convening a New Working Group on Workforce Development (INVITE ONLY)
- Uncommon Dialogue on Hydropower, River Restoration, and Public Safety, Kelsey Rugani and Jim Downing, Kearns & West