Path to Clean Energy The Vast Potential of Marine Energy
On March 30th, the National Hydropower Association’s Path to Clean Energy hosted a virtual event titled: “The Vast Potential of Marine Energy”.
At this virtual event, top officials within the U.S. Department of Energy’s Waterpower Technologies Office, National Labs, Ocean Energy Europe and technology developers will discussed the potential market opportunities for marine energy (wave, tidal, ocean current, ocean thermal, and riverine marine).
Panelists will also spoke about to the importance of these findings as this resource strives toward commercialization. Marine energy CEO’s of ORPC, Verdant, C-Power and Oscilla will discuss their recent accomplishments, challenges they have faced along the way and what’s next.
Recently, the Department of Energy recently released a resource assessment on marine energy’s potential, and the results are surprising. Leveraging just one-tenth of available marine energy resources in the 50 states would equate to 5.7% of U.S electricity generation.
- Andrea E. Copping, PhD, Senior Research Scientist, Coastal Division, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Tim Ramsey, Marine and Hydrokinetic Program Manager, Department of Energy, Waterpower Technology Office
- Rémi Gruet, CEO, Ocean Energy Europe
- Levi Kilcher, Researcher IV-Mechanical Engineering, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Dhruv Bhatnagar, Energy Systems Research Engineer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Stuart Davies, CEO, ORPC, Inc.
- Reenst Lesemann, CEO, C-Power
- Balakrishnan Nair, CEO, Oscilla Power
- Trey Tayor, Co-Founder & Chief Commercial Officer, Verdant Power