Job Opening: Vice President of Market Strategy and Regulatory Affairs
The National Hydropower Association (NHA) is seeking a Vice President of Market Strategy and Regulatory Affairs to lead our markets and regulatory advocacy efforts before federal agencies (including FERC) and regional and/or state regulators (including RTOs, ISOs and state PUCs). Join the team that champions hydropower, America’s first renewable energy resource, as an essential part of a reliable, carbon-free electricity system.
About NHA: NHA is a national non-profit trade association dedicated exclusively to advancing the interests of the U.S. hydropower industry, including conventional, pumped storage, and new marine and hydrokinetic technologies. NHA’s membership consists of over 240 organizations, including consumer-owned utilities, investor-owned utilities, independent power producers, equipment manufacturers, environmental and engineering firms, and attorneys.
Position Purpose & Responsibilities: This newly-created position will lead NHA’s efforts to promote market rules that fully value the grid benefits that hydropower provides. Working with NHA’s Markets Task Force, the person will be responsible for devising and implementing NHA’s market engagement strategy, as well as leading our ongoing regulatory advocacy. This senior position will report to the President & CEO.
- Devising a strategy to maximize NHA’s voice on market valuation issues.
- Providing access to timely information on regulatory and market issues of import to the industry.
- Building a broad consensus among NHA’s diverse member companies on key market and regulatory opportunities.
- Executing NHA’s market strategy, including:
- Presenting oral and written testimony at FERC, RTOs and/or state PUCs;
- Strengthening awareness of industry policy needs through strong personal contacts at FERC, RTOs, and electricity market design thought leaders;
- Leveraging other aspects of NHA’s advocacy efforts, including legislative affairs, communications, and member events;
- Managing staff and consultants as appropriate; and
- Serving as a spokesperson for the Association.
- Orchestrating NHA’s advocacy before federal regulatory agencies, including staff and consultants as appropriate;
- Supporting the CEO in building alliances with traditional and non-traditional allies (e.g., electricity industry trades, clean energy trades, climate advocates, etc.) to strengthen hydropower’s profile in on-going energy policy debates.
- Contributing to NHA’s continued performance as a high performing organization by delivering on our strategic goals, including membership development and retention, mentoring staff, and encouraging a fun, collaborative work environment.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience working on electricity markets and/or energy regulatory issues;
- Knowledge of electricity issues required, with hydropower experience preferred;
- Experience forging consensus among diverse stakeholders, managing personnel and budget, and working with Boards preferred; and
- Excellent communication, political advocacy and analytical skills, and sense of humor required.
Submit cover letter and resume with salary requirements to Kimberly Costner at email@example.com .