Job Opening: Vice President of Government Affairs
The National Hydropower Association (NHA) is seeking a Vice President of Government Affairs to lead our federal and state legislative efforts. Join the team that champions hydropower, America’s first renewable energy resource, as an essential part of a reliable, carbon-free electricity system.
About NHA: NHA is a national non-profit trade association dedicated exclusively to advancing the interests of the U.S. hydropower industry, including conventional, pumped storage, and new marine and hydrokinetic technologies. NHA’s membership consists of over 240 organizations, including consumer-owned utilities, investor-owned utilities, independent power producers, equipment manufacturers, environmental and engineering firms, and attorneys.
Position Purpose & Responsibilities: NHA is hiring a Vice President of Government Affairs to be the face of NHA on Capitol Hill. In addition, this person will spearhead our efforts to raise the profile of hydropower in state energy policy conversations. This senior position, based in Washington, D.C., will report to the President & CEO.
- Devising political and policy strategies to advance the Association’s policy objectives and NHA’s strategic plan.
- Implementing the Association’s federal and state legislative policy program, including:
- Aggressively advocating for the Association’s policy positions before Congress;
- Strengthening awareness of industry policy needs through strong personal contacts on Capitol Hill and with state energy policy thought leaders (eg, NARUC, NASEO, NGA, etc.);
- Managing NHA staff and policy consultants;
- Leveraging other aspects of NHA’s advocacy efforts, including market strategies, regulatory affairs, communications and member events; and
- Serving as a spokesperson for the Association and representing the hydropower industry at political events, increasing industry visibility within the political sphere.
- Providing policy and political intelligence to NHA’s member companies and working to build a broad industry consensus on key policy issues.
- Supporting the CEO in building alliances with traditional and non-traditional allies (e.g., electricity industry trades, clean energy trades, climate advocates, etc.) to strengthen hydropower’s profile in on-going energy policy debates.
- Contribute to NHA’s continued performance as a high performing organization by delivering on our strategic goals, including membership development and retention, mentoring staff, and encouraging a fun, collaborative work environment.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience working in the policy area (e.g., Capitol Hill, public affairs firm, trade association, or NGO);
- Knowledge of energy issues required, with hydropower experience preferred;
- Experience forging consensus among diverse stakeholders, managing personnel and budget, and working with Boards preferred; and
- Excellent communication, political advocacy and analytical skills, and sense of humor required.
Submit cover letter and resume with salary requirements to Kimberly Costner at email@example.com .