2016 NHA Alaska Regional Meeting
Sunday, September 18, 2016
5:30 PM – 6:30 PM
NHA Welcome Reception
Monday, September 19, 2016
7:30 AM – 5:30 PM
NHA AK Regional Meeting
Tuesday, September 20, 2016
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
NHA AK Regional Meeting
1:30 PM – 4:30 PM
Powercreek Hydro Project Tour
6:30 pm – 8:30 PM
Networking Reception in conjunction with Alaska Power Association Meeting
- Lessons Learned from New Small Run of River Hydropower Development in Rural Alaska
- NHA Federal Policy Update
- Hydro Project Development and Fish Protection – Win/Win Examples
- U.S. Forest Service Update
- Marine Energy – an update on Alaskan policy and projects
- Hydropower Operations – Benefiting from the Knowledge and Experience of Each Other
- A New Vision for Hydropower – an update on the new U.S. Department of Energy report
- New Hydropower Development in Alaska: Challenges and Opportunities
The Cordova Center
602 Railroad Ave,
Cordova, AK 99574
Orca Adventure Lodge
Please call 907-424-7249 and mention NHA to book your room under the reserved NHA block.
Cordova also offers many lodges and bed and breakfasts. The list below shows contact information and distance to the Cordova Center. If you need more assistance please visit the Cordova Chamber of Commerce to see other lodging options or call the chamber at 907-424-7260.
Proximity to Cordova Center
Red Shield Inn
Prince William Motel
Reluctant Fisherman Inn
Northern Nights Inn
Cordova Gardens B&B
King’s Chamber B&B
Alaska Fisherman’s Camp
Orca Adventure Lodge
Bear Country Lodge
Bears Dens Cabins
Bears Dens Cabins
2016 NHA Hydro Licensing Negotiations Training
Join NHA and Gomez and Sullivan at Eversource Energy in Manchester, NH on October 5-6 for this is a two day hands-on training seminar in interest based negotiating specifically dealing with the challenges of FERC Licensing.
Participants will learn about various negotiation techniques as well as types of negotiators. The concepts of interest based negotiations vs. positional bargaining will be explored in the context of the Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA). Topics covered in short presentations will be reinforced with negotiation of a settlement for a previously settled FERC Licensing Case. The course settlement will be compared to that actually arrived at in the field. Negotiator performance will be evaluated and feedback provided. Course admission includes the reference book Getting to Yes by Fisher, Ury and Patton which will be distributed to participants approximately two weeks before the course.
Deadline to register is Friday, September 23rd.
Who should attend:
Licensees, agency personnel, and nongovernment organization will all benefit from this course.
780 N Commercial St, Manchester, NH 03101
Thomas J. Sullivan, PE, Principal In Charge of Licensing, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers, DPC
Tom has managed FERC Licensing Projects in the northeast, northwest and mid-Atlantic regions of the country. This experience has included projects ranging in size from less than 1 MW to 2,700 MW and has included both conventional and pumped storage projects. Tom has served as the lead negotiator, facilitator, and mediator for several licensing settlement agreements and has provided training to clients on negotiating processes and techniques.
Timothy J. Sullivan, GISP, Regulatory Specialist, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers, DPC
Tim has been involved in FERC Licensing Projects in the northeast and mid – Atlantic regions and has facilitated dialogues on high profile erosion causation and mitigation projects as well as the water quality impacts of sedimentation. Prior to joining Gomez and Sullivan, Tim worked in the Energy and Campus Development Department at a major university where he routinely dealt with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders with conflicting interests.
Ontario Waterpower Association- Power of Water Canada Conference and Tradeshow
Join OWA for the largest gathering of the hydroelectric sector in Canada!
- 400+ delegates including, generators and developers, project managers, investment firms, environmental consultants, engineering firms, legal practitioners, First Nations, federal and provincial government representatives, product and service providers and more….
- Two day trade show with exhibitors from around the world
- Several keynote speakers discussing key challenges & opportunities for the hydroelectric sector
- Numerous educational and technical sessions
- Awards ceremony recognizing industry leaders
- Tremendous networking opportunities
Visit the OWA website at http://conference.owa.ca
2016 NHA Hydraulic Power Committee (HPC) Fall Retreat
NHA’s Hydraulic Power Committee (HPC), in conjunction with the Midwest Hydro Users Group (MHUG), is pleased to invite you to the HPC Fall Retreat at historic Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI.
The HPC Fall Retreat is the premier industry event that specializes in exchanging critical information related to the technical and environmental aspects of operating hydroelectric projects.
This year’s line-up is packed with relevant and timely discussions that you will be able to apply back home to improve procedures related to dam and employee safety, operations and maintenance, and environmental performance.
Monday, October 24
- MHUG sponsored owner operator-only meeting (open to all owner operator attendees)
Tuesday, October 25 & Thursday, October 27
- Insight on trends in dam safety and an update from FERC’s Division of Dam Safety & Inspections (D2SI)
- Cyber security best practices and avoiding cyber attacks
- New approaches to controlling and eliminating invasive species that impact operations
- Case studies from NHA’s Operational Excellence (OpEx) program around human performance events
- Operations and maintenance hot topics from around the country
- Licensees’ experiences with, and responses to, emergency events
- Research and development roundtable
- Utilizing risk registries to improve project management
Wednesday, October 26
- We Energies Twin Falls Redevelopment Project, originally constructed in 1912, with redeveloped powerhouse beginning operation in 2016
- Eagle Creek Renewable Energy’s Park Mill facility, constructed in 1920
Sponsorship opportunities are still available. Please contact Francesca Blanco for more information: Francesca@hydro.org
We look forward to seeing you in Green Bay!
Hilton Garden Inn Green Bay
1015 Lombardi Ave, Green Bay, WI
NHA has negotiated a discounted room rate of $119 per night plus tax. Please click here or call 920-405-0400 and mention the National Hydropower Association to receive this rate. Rates are valid until September 26th or once the block is full so reserve your room today!
Green Bay Packers Lambeau Field
1265 Lombardi Avenue Green Bay, WI 54304
2016 NHA California Regional Meeting
Save the Date for the 2016 NHA CA Regional Meeting on December 6 – 7, 2016 in San Diego, CA. Stay tuned for details.
2017 Waterpower Week in Washington – Annual Conference, IMREC and METS
Save the Date!
We will be back in Washington, DC on May 1 – 3, 2017 to host Waterpower Week in Washington including the NHA Annual Conference, International Marine Energy Conference (IMREC) and Marine Energy Technology Symposium (METS). Stay tuned for details!