2016 NHA Hydro Licensing Negotiations Training
Join NHA and Gomez and Sullivan at Eversource Energy in Manchester, NH on October 5-6 for this is a two day hands-on training seminar in interest based negotiating specifically dealing with the challenges of FERC Licensing.
Participants will learn about various negotiation techniques as well as types of negotiators. The concepts of interest based negotiations vs. positional bargaining will be explored in the context of the Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA). Topics covered in short presentations will be reinforced with negotiation of a settlement for a previously settled FERC Licensing Case. The course settlement will be compared to that actually arrived at in the field. Negotiator performance will be evaluated and feedback provided. Course admission includes the reference book Getting to Yes by Fisher, Ury and Patton which will be distributed to participants approximately two weeks before the course.
Deadline to register is Friday, September 23rd.
Who should attend:
Licensees, agency personnel, and nongovernment organization will all benefit from this course.
780 N Commercial St, Manchester, NH 03101
The workshop will run from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM on October 5th and 8 AM – 4 PM on October 6.
Thomas J. Sullivan, PE, Principal In Charge of Licensing, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers, DPC
Tom has managed FERC Licensing Projects in the northeast, northwest and mid-Atlantic regions of the country. This experience has included projects ranging in size from less than 1 MW to 2,700 MW and has included both conventional and pumped storage projects. Tom has served as the lead negotiator, facilitator, and mediator for several licensing settlement agreements and has provided training to clients on negotiating processes and techniques.
Timothy J. Sullivan, GISP, Regulatory Specialist, Gomez and Sullivan Engineers, DPC
Tim has been involved in FERC Licensing Projects in the northeast and mid – Atlantic regions and has facilitated dialogues on high profile erosion causation and mitigation projects as well as the water quality impacts of sedimentation. Prior to joining Gomez and Sullivan, Tim worked in the Energy and Campus Development Department at a major university where he routinely dealt with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders with conflicting interests.
NHA Relicensing Summit Webinar
In July, NHA announced the launch of a Hydropower Relicensing Summit, which is a dual effort between NHA’s Regulatory Affairs Committee and Small Hydro Council.
We received a tremendous response to the industry survey, with over 50 practitioners providing insight and experience related to relicensing. We are now excited to enter phase two of the Summit process, a webinar scheduled for Wednesday, October 12, from 3:00-4:30 (Eastern). The purpose of the webinar will be to share survey results, receive additional feedback from the industry, and provide an outline and set expectations for the in-person, industry-only Summit on November 15-16, in Washington, D.C.
Webinar Details & Information
- Date & Time: Wednesday, October 12, from 3:00-4:30 (Eastern)
- Registration: The webinar is free, but registration is required. You will be sent call-in details prior to the actual webinar. You can register here.
- Attendance: Throughout the entire Summit process we are encouraging broad and diverse participation. Therefore, the webinar is open to NHA members and non-members alike licensees/owners, consulting firms, law firms, manufacturers, and other practitioners in FERC relicensing.
- We encourage webinar participation regardless of whether you responded to the survey.
- Participation in the webinar is strongly encouraged but not required to attend the industry-only Summit in November.
2016 NHA Hydraulic Power Committee (HPC) Fall Retreat
NHA’s Hydraulic Power Committee (HPC), in conjunction with the Midwest Hydro Users Group (MHUG), is pleased to invite you to the HPC Fall Retreat at historic Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI.
The HPC Fall Retreat is the premier industry event that specializes in exchanging critical information related to the technical and environmental aspects of operating hydroelectric projects.
This year’s line-up is packed with relevant and timely discussions that you will be able to apply back home to improve procedures related to dam and employee safety, operations and maintenance, and environmental performance.
Monday, October 24
- MHUG sponsored owner operator-only meeting (open to all owner operator attendees)
Tuesday, October 25 & Thursday, October 27
- Insight on trends in dam safety and an update from FERC’s Division of Dam Safety & Inspections (D2SI)
- Cyber security best practices and avoiding cyber attacks
- New approaches to controlling and eliminating invasive species that impact operations
- Case studies from NHA’s Operational Excellence (OpEx) program around human performance events
- Operations and maintenance hot topics from around the country
- Licensees’ experiences with, and responses to, emergency events
- Research and development roundtable
- Utilizing risk registries to improve project management
Wednesday, October 26
- We Energies Twin Falls Redevelopment Project, originally constructed in 1912, with redeveloped powerhouse beginning operation in 2016
- Eagle Creek Renewable Energy’s Park Mill facility, constructed in 1920
Sponsorship opportunities are still available. Please contact Francesca Blanco for more information: Francesca@hydro.org
We look forward to seeing you in Green Bay!
Hilton Garden Inn Green Bay
1015 Lombardi Ave, Green Bay, WI
NHA has negotiated a discounted room rate of $119 per night plus tax. Please click here or call 920-405-0400 and mention the National Hydropower Association to receive this rate. Rates are valid until September 26th or once the block is full so reserve your room today!
Green Bay Packers Lambeau Field
1265 Lombardi Avenue Green Bay, WI 54304
2016 NHA California Regional Meeting
Save the Date for the 2016 NHA CA Regional Meeting on December 6 – 7, 2016 in San Diego, CA. Stay tuned for details.
2017 Waterpower Week in Washington – Annual Conference, IMREC and METS
Save the Date!
We will be back in Washington, DC on May 1 – 3, 2017 to host Waterpower Week in Washington including the NHA Annual Conference, International Marine Energy Conference (IMREC) and Marine Energy Technology Symposium (METS). Stay tuned for details!